Welcome to the Soartex forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Currently emails sent from the forums may be marked as spam or suspicious I can inform you that the emails are fine! We are currently awaiting our ssl and settings to settle then these warnings should stop appearing :)

Archived [2.7] Minecraft 1.7 & Snapshots

Discussion in 'Vanilla Textures' started by Shoeboxam, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Active Member

I was trying to go for a forest floor with brambles/sticks and dead leaves type look. I have no other ideas for podzol.
  2. Shoeboxam

Shoeboxam Paper Airplane Maker Retired Staff

The podzol with leaves is definitely sharp and detailed, and I can tell a lot of work went into it. The color choices are really interesting too, I'm a sucker for those cyans and greens you snuck in. The patterning, however, is noticeable and the sharpness is hard on the aliasing. I made a few tweaks to lower the sharpness, but I'm not sure the result is any better.
    dirt_podzol_top.png
    I think you were noticing the same things I am, and made that second version with a slight bit of blur and fewer focal points. I noticed a few repeat pixels on the edges of that texture by the way. :p

Anyways, I took your leafy texture, lowered the sharpness, resynthesized to a 512x base that tiles over 64 blocks, de-noised the dark areas and made a few tweaks to try to reduce the aliasing. It still has a lot of aliasing, but at least the tiling isn't very noticeable.

[​IMG]
    Contents of .zip files go anywhere inside /assets/minecraft/mcpatcher/ctm/
    MCPatcher does not support 1.7 yet, so I just set it up to replace the sandstone top texture. The redstone superflat world is an easy way to test it, but keep in mind superflat makes the aliasing much more noticeable. I think this could work with a little more tweaking. The base is the hard thing to make, I love this contribution.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. Valsis

Valsis Magic Unicorn Retired Staff

@Shoeboxam it's still a weird pattern and it's not Soartexy enough. It's way to pixelated and sharpen. But I agree, the colors are totally there though!

I don't know what's best, if working on it a bit more or making something from scratch again.
  4. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Active Member

Personally I like the salmon steak, made a grilled version too, hoping the cod now comes with less soy sauce. A cookie made just because, and a preview of Weird and colorful Podzol that I rather love the colours on but not sure if the mustard/gold leaves was one of my more "brighter" ideas as it were. ahem. Yes that was a long over-run puny sentence. ;P
  5. Valsis

@Mocha4u I totally prefer the fish_cod_cooked2 and the fish_salmon_cooked2. They simply look amazing to me, not mentioning that they look tasty as well.

The podzol I believe it's way to detailed however I understand that the podzol is made of dry leaves. I just feel it has too much.

That cookie reminds me more of crackers. a pinch of salt or even some oregano and I would eat it.
    Kalonie, DrumMaster4 and Mocha4u like this.
  6. ezanrki

ezanrki Well-Known Member

I think the pozdol is a bit too light. Compare the color of the default with yours. Right now yours looks more like this rather than what the "typical soils of coniferous, or boreal forests" (wikipedia) would look like. I think the color of your previous one was more accurate but maybe a bit darker still would be better :) I would say a tad bit less orange and more brown would do the trick ;)
    Mocha4u and Valsis like this.
  7. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Active Member

I know your right. I think I got caught up in the pretty colours and lost site of what the end goal was supposed to be.
  8. Sheynx

Sheynx Administrator / Texture Reviewer Staff Member

I got a big reviews post coming but till I get to post it, I'll remind everyone something:

This pack isn't and will never be realistic.

Thank you for your understanding!
    DrumMaster4 and Mocha4u like this.
  9. redflex1235

redflex1235 Well-Known Member

WIP Poppy

2013-09-21_16.32.45.png

Tell me what you think and how to improve it :)
    Yes, it is a little cartoony but as i said, it's WIP.

[edited by valsis]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
    Trapper777, Shoeboxam and Mocha4u like this.
  10. RubikMan

RubikMan Well-Known Member

Can somebody tell me what fish_cod_raw(coocked) in the files means, because I am playing 1.6.2 and I saw in the 1.7 files fish_raw(coocked) and the normal one, fish_raw(coocked)?
  11. redflex1235

@RubikMan In 1.7 (snapshots) there are more types of fish: Salmon, Pufferfish, Clownfish & the regular one (COD). Because of them the regular one got renamed from fish_raw to fish_cod_raw & fish_cooked to fish_cod_cooked. Hope i helped ;)
  12. Valsis

If you want the new Cod Fish (for 1.7) in your 1.6.x pack, download the fish and then rename it to both fish_raw.png and fish_cooked.png.

Then go to your pack then assets\minecraft\textures\items. Drag and drop the files and it will be done.
  13. Shoeboxam

I've been making a few more versions of old textures:
    Cauldron, light sensor, coal block, coal item, dragon egg, enchanting table, beacon, dispenser, dropper, remade stick, remade quilted wool base, packed ice and emerald block.

These aren't all necessarily improvements, but I figured I'd post what I have been working on.

wool_colored_red.png beacon.png cauldron_bottom.png cauldron_inner.png cauldron_side.png cauldron_top.png coal_block.png daylight_detector_side.png daylight_detector_top.png dragon_egg.png dispenser_front_horizontal.png dispenser_front_vertical.png dropper_front_horizontal.png dropper_front_vertical.png emerald_block.png enchanting_table_bottom.png enchanting_table_side.png enchanting_table_top.png coal.png stick.png ice_packed.png

As can be seen in the .xcf, the red wool shading comes from a screen layer... The emerald block is a resynthesized diamond block, so the texture looks similar but different. The dispensers and droppers are basically the same as soar's original textures, but the tops have altered shading because, well, they're on the top of the block.
    The current light sensor doesn't give very many building options... This one is more similar to vanilla and more compatible with light sensor tile floors. :p
    The enchant table swirl on the top comes from (filters>distorts>whirl and pinch...). I just used the circular select tool to get the center.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  14. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Active Member

I stole and mixed your new textures to make this Shoe. Fixed Shelf.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    Meara, GoldBattle, ezanrki and 3 others like this.
  15. Valsis

@Mocha4u
    On the bookshelves sides try to remove the upper shelf on top of the books and keep only the wooden frame from the crafting table.

[Edit] it's amazing how you understand me with such few words :) I give it a go with your crafting table. It looks amazing.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  16. redflex1235

A modernish Crafting table maybe?
    crafting_table_top.png crafting_table_side.png crafting_table_front.png
    2013-09-22_15.08.08.png

Edit: The flower in the pot is part of @Mocha4u 's houstonia ;)
  17. Shoeboxam

Here's my first stab at the two block high fern!
    doublePlant_fern_top.png
    doublePlant_fern_bottom.png
    2013-09-22_13.13.29.png
    I have also attached the .xcf so you can see how it was made. There were no fancy filters or tools, this was just hand drawing each branch on separate layers and dodge/burning each leaf. I will continue to tweak it to make it look more similar to the one block high fern and fix those jarringly bright pixels inside it. I'll probably also work on the leaf structure on a number of the branches as well. :)

EDIT: With some more revisions:
    doublePlant_fern_top.png
    doublePlant_fern_bottom.png
    2013-09-22_17.12.28.png

Attached Files:

Trapper777, Kalonie, Yaspa and 6 others like this.
  18. Valsis

Can I marry your skills? seriously...

I just have one thing to say, now it seems that the fern and regular grass have less detail than the super duper tall grass.

Maybe tweaking both fern and regular grass so it has the same quality like the super duper tall grass?
  19. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Active Member

I know my opinion will vary greatly from others. I kinda like the idea that the fern is a different type of fern. I like variety and I think it has a lot of potential. :D
    Sheynx likes this.
  20. Wow, I lose my internet connection for 10 days, and so many new amazing textures show up! :D
    There have been some really amazing things done for all the vegetation textures. Very excited about what you guys are making for this 1.7 update ;)

This being said, I have to make some criticism about all of this :
    1) Even if I love what has been done, I feel a bit puzzled by the general feel of the flower textures. I feel like they belong to a mod, not to vanilla soartex. In my opinion, we're losing that really cohesive and special Soartex atmosphere when we try to simply convert the snapshot default textures to soartex textures. Two of the essential things that made the soartex flowers and vegetation so unique, warm and cohesive are the shape and shading of the leaves on the one hand and the dense bushy style of the flowers on the other hand. The very cool relief it generates is, to me, a part of the signature of the pack. Having a long stalk and petals for flowers doesn't work imo, we need to have bushes to keep that warm feeling. And we do not necessarily need to make whole new bushes, the original ones would work out pretty well with a few tweaks. Maybe we should focus the variety on the petals, and let the bushes maintain the cohesion of the vegetation. I think that at this point, the flowers that were made stand out too much and do not go well with the original vegetation [However, flowers with a simple stalk may work out well for flower pots]. To bring more variety, we could also use the deadbush texture as a bush (like what I did a long time ago for roses here).
    2) About the double fern and double grass (doublePlant_fern & doublePlant_grass) : I love what you've made Shoe, and I also love what Mocha4u made for the double fern. I think we should keep your doublePlant_grass as primary, and keep both of your and Mocha4u's doublePlant_fern to randomize the double fern with ctm [that's the kind of variety I like! :p] (your doublePlant_fern should go in the primary folder and her's should go in the mcpatcher folder).
    3) We are not going to get rid of the rose flower just because mojang decided to add a black pixel and renamed the flower, are we? o_O
    [I'm talking about the simple rose bush, not about the double one that was added in the snapshot]
    4) I absolutely love the new cauldron, daylight detector (amazing :eek:!) and coal item (brilliant! ;)).

Playing minecraft 1.7 is gonna be really, really cool...
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    GoldBattle likes this.
  21. Shoeboxam

I agree we need bushes, but I disagree that we don't need to make new ones. We have opportunity to put fresh pixels in the pack! Aside from the original rose bush I'm building up, I think all the new flowers should be made from scratch. In other words: I'm prepared to make bushes, ya'll. Or booshes, as Keralis would say. ;)

~~~~~~~~~
    I revised the fern above by the way...
    Here are revised double grass textures. I worked on the shading a tad, added some new strands to fill out the right side and made a few tweaks to pixels that were off.
    doublePlant_grass_top.png
    doublePlant_grass_bottom.png
    2013-09-22_18.46.44.png

Attached Files:

22. randomguy404

randomguy404 Member

@Shoeboxam - That coal has a stark contrast between mine ( which was improved by @TarquinsBrutus ) and is the current one.
  23. Mocha4u

Mocha4u Active Member

Thinner /less fuzzy stalk, because it was annoying me. Redrawn leaves. Front and back shots provided.

Hey Meara I tried to give your Allium the long bent leaves I think you were going for. I probably should have thinned them up some more, but I thought you may want a stab at them again.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 23, 2013 ---
    Rose bush alt and what has been referred to as a barn door...
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Kalonie, Shoeboxam and redflex1235 like this.
  24. Valsis

@Mocha4u
    About the sunflowers, I honestly prefer the one Shoe made for the simple fact they have a bigger core and the petals are more defined and fuller. The top steam, without the leaves, looks a bit empty, maybe making some knots in it to simulate that new leaves are coming out will make it look fuller and less stick-ish. The leaves area is actually pretty good in shape but, for some reason it seems that the leaves were glued to the stem and they have a different green color from the stem too. If it's possible to make them look like they are part of the stem it would be awesome. The back part of the flower has a total different color from the stem as well, it's lighter. It seems you mixed textures.

The Allium flower looks amazing. Not only, for me, perfectly shaded but detailed. However the stem and leaves have different color of green and the leaves have a wobbly shape where they don't look like leaves. They look blurred at the moment and poor in shape but, they can be improved! The same way you gave flowy-ness to the tulip leaves try to do the same for the Allium.

The rose bush I love the concept. It's fuller, it has more flow but, if you look closely, the leaves have a sort of pastel green instead of being vibrant like a rose leave. Also, Look at the bottom of the bush, you'll see that you have a rose cut in half right down at the bottom. Be careful with that ;)

The doors are definetly Soartex Fanver look! However the main outlines I believe they are way to defined. At least for me. The window itself I believe it could actually have a tainted glass panel or the reinforced glass in it. What do you think? :)

Overall, amazing work!
    DrumMaster4 likes this.
  25. Sheynx

Sheynx Administrator / Texture Reviewer Staff Member

Hello People! I'm back into Texture Reviewing. *waves* Hope you are having a great time here. :) I see lots of new faces and potential.

I won't comment on each texture as they are a lot and that'd make a huuuge wall-of-text post and they've already been reviewed by others. You’ve been busy bees, I see.. Therefore, I'll only comment on those that are the closest to entering the pack (in another post as I still got to finish it, busy life is busy, I got some of it done though ;)) and give general tips for everything else. I'd have to ask everyone to keep those tips in mind. I hope this will give some insight on what we'll generally approve.. :) So...Let's do this!

Tips and guidelines on how the textures should look:

• Since this is a smooth pack, we work on a combination of a pixel made base (you have to draw them/use existing textures and build upon them) and shade them nicely so nothing looks chunky and the transition from pixel to pixel is seamless. We don't work with images taken from Google/Other Packs.

• On that note, all the textures look better with some form of shading. By that I mean when light hits, it creates shadows in the opposite direction. Your can improve your textures by doing subtle shading. It really makes a difference. :) It shouldn't be very very obvious, subtlety is another asset of this pack. ;)

• No realistic looking textures. Anything with a lot of harsh contrast, blurring, hash sharpen and harsh colors packed together don't go with the smooth style. If you want to understand the difference between smooth and realistic, please download both Soartex, a realistic pack (for example Misa's), load them and compare. Smooth is cleaner, nicely colored while still retaining details while realistic is....I'm not a fan of those so I can't really be fair enough to describe them but I'm sure you'll spot the differences and what I listed earlier might help. Surely, we gotta be able to tell that a chicken is a chicken (Thank you Meara for the comparison, and no worries I am not human, I am a poking bunny, old story there. ;) ) but try to avoid anything that doesn't follow the smooth style of the pack as it simply breaks the flow.

• This brings me to the next point: make sure it has enough subtle/visible detail and nothing looks blurry. Instead, it should look like a nicely done transition.

• Always remember the screenshots and make sure it's day so we can see and review things properly. ;)

• Try to follow the style of the pack. Look at the textures, compare, adapt. This way, the pack looks better and has a general put-together atmosphere. :)

• Another thing I’d like to ask of you is, from now on (no need to do that for the ones that you already posted) to number your own versions of a texture so we both know what are we talking about. A simple Nr./# 1 Pumpkin should do. That way, will be less confusing. :)
    That's all people. I hope this helped. :) *goes to look over and review stuff*

If you have any inquiries/suggestions about anything in this whole topic or Soarte Textures in general, please PM me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Promise~
    DrumMaster4 and Valsis like this.
  26. Meara

Meara Well-Known Member

Edit: Reposted at Vals request, slimmed down;

I have not been working on textures as much as I wished i could have the past few days as I have been kinda ill (still am).
    Here is what I have gotten done so far,
    Here is a link to the album (as Im not sure if google albums can be posted here)
    [​IMG]
    Allium, Oxeye Daisy, Red , White, and Orange Tulips. (You can click the links for close ups of each of the flowers)
    Tried to go with different bud Shapes for each color of tulip, to give more variety.
    redflex1235 and Shoeboxam like this.
  27. redflex1235

@Mocha4u 's Barn door inspired me to make a modern door for Soartex (I build modern):
    Not really complicated but it really looks good with my new house
    door_wood_upper.png
    door_wood_lower.png
    Made two item versions: 64x & 128x because it's higher resolution
    door_wood.png door_wood 64x.png

2013-09-26_15.17.42.png
    2013-09-26_15.21.58.png

Attached Files:

ezanrki likes this.
  28. Valsis

New snapshot 13w39a implemented two new blocks:

-Red Sand
    -Minecart with command book inside

I've tried to recolor our current sand into red sand, with a pretty faithful color, but Queen Sheynx simply said "Ew" do to being to realistic. Here's what I have:

red_sand.png

red_sand_s.png

Queen Sheynx: Where are ya screenshots, girl? I already gave a proper review on this and my opinion still stands. *pokes Valsis a 100 times*
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
  29. ezanrki

ezanrki Well-Known Member

I think this is really nice! It doesnt match the soartex style really or default but i like modern additions to the customizer so this is great :)
    Cleaned up Val's red sand :3 no other changes, and no screenshots here either because i simply dont have time right now :oops: sowwy

[​IMG]

EDIT: Screenshot
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Meara likes this.
  30. Valsis

Thank you for doing it. I was actually having problems cleaning the texture. It looks softer now and Sheynx might prefer this one to mine haha!

When you have the chance Edit this post with a screenshot so we can see how it looks in game ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.